Tuesday, September 23, 2008

2 Sen Worth of Opinion by DK

This comment was posted by one of our readers. We post it here with permission.

Dear Administrator,
I give permission to have my comments posted as you see fit. However, I want to stress this and appreciate if you would add it to my comments - that I am not against BOD or any of the pastors and neither am I part of the TT team.

I am a Calvarite who has been and is still concerned with what has been brewing over these past months in our church, particularly the matter of the CIM, CARED and Missions accounts. Due to unavoidable work commitments, I missed the AGM but decided that I would attend the EGM, hoping that the BOD and Snr Ps would clear the air and the queries that I wanted answers to.

Sadly, this did not happen. What I saw was really a use of the legal law and financial law on the members - to prove that no "technical mis-handling of funds" had occured. Using such tools available is fine but I wonder if the BOD realise what they were telling the members? Being told that any money that I give to God is "absolute gift" is perfectly fine - if GOD is directly handling the money because HE is perfect and I trust HIM with my life.

However, hearing this from a church, governed by mortals with limitations - is like telling me that once I give the money, then whoever receives it can do what he, she or they want with it. I believe this - "In GOD, we trust; others, show me clean hands, hearts and minds!" I can't accept this legal information because we are human beings and we must be accountable to those who give especially in financial matters - for too many servants of God have fallen by the wayside when they gave in to the temptation of money.

In fact, at BCM, where I studied my first degree, our lecturers - most of them pastors, have always told us to always practise accountability and if it was possible, do not decide on money matters - let that be handled by those who are professionally trained to do what is right and have controls that show you are constantly practising accountability and transparency.

Next, at BCM when I learned the subject Church and Law and later about Church Management, my lecturers have constantly reminded us that we should always pay attention to the Spirit of the Law and not the Letter of the Law. You may have the law on yourside but as Christians, we have a higher calling. We need to look at the Integrity issue of the entire matter. If not, how does that make us different from the people who do what is right legally or financially, but do not know Christ?

I believe displaying high integrity in attitude, behavior and actions is the one expression that shows everyone - we belong to Christ. And that is what I had hoped that the TT group would have brought up that night. I guess that a member or two did try - but they were not direct enough.

What I want to know is this:

a) CIM - It is a personal ministry of Sr Ps and at its launch, we were told about the RM30K seed money. How come the BOD can inform us of this but giving RM200K - is not informed to the members? Does the BOD consider that RM200K is so small a figure ( mind you - an average person does not earn that much in a single year! ) that it should not be tabled at the AGM? And it is kept quiet for 6 years? Ironic, don't you think that RM30K is announced by RM200K is kept silent? Why? Do the BOD realise that omission(failure to speak the truth) is also a wrong? Have not one of them ever checked their hearts and spirits in the past 6 years - each time they authorised the payments?

b) CIM - Before CIM was formed, disbursements of all designated funds were through the Missions Dept and they had been doing this for many years. I can't reconcile the fact that once CIM came into the picture, the Missions Dept lost its capacity to do what they have been doing for the past decades? So, why the switch? What purpose does it serve? Saying that they have the same objectives will render that one of them - Missions Dept or CIM as obselete?

c)CIM - BOD said that all designated funds given, even though from CARED or CIM - recipients were told, the gift was from Calvary Church - my question, why the roundabout way of doing something? Why not go direct? What was the objective for doing this?

d) CIM - I find the matter of the "seed fund" a very strange matter. Personally, Sr Ps and Ps Peter have told BCM students year in and year out that we are called by God and that we live by faith. That when we are called to do what we destined to do, we depend on God and HE will provide for us. We have been told that we are not to look to the church and depend on it to support us. The money that is given from faith promise to support us is minimal so that we might learn to live by faith.

So, my question - why is there a need for such a large "seed" fund? Sr Ps says that we need money to do ministry - correct - then should the way be - to pray and God will provide. Sr Ps could come before us anytime with the burden that God put in his heart, and I believe that Calvarites would respond generously. Honestly, I struggled with great mental "dissonance" when I heard Sr Ps's reply because what he has said to BCM students and what he doing for CIM is entirely different.

And since Ps Wirachai Kowae's name was mentioned at the EGM, let me say that his ministry - Compassion of Christ - is so different from what our BOD have done for CIM. Compassion of Christ survives on its own - of course, Romyen Church, the BOD with the ok of its members, does give support -but much of the funds for ministry comes from Ps Wirachai's sharing of his vision to those he meets and the books that he writes and sells. And I have great respect for PS Wirachai because he has many times, brought out his own money to fund the ministry of Compassion of Christ than to look to Romyen. Many times, he tells me that God never fails.

e) The accounts show that much money in CIM was used for travelling - it did not have details but quite a substantial sum was shown. I may be wrong but as far as I know, when one is invited as a speaker to crusades, the chances are that your air-ticket is paid by the organisation that invites you. The same go for accomodation, though food and etc could be another matter. If the church that invites you is small, then, yeah, being more financially able, you, the speaker would pay for some of the expenses or so. Many times, however, when you speak and pay your airfare, there is a high possibility that the church would take an offering for you to help meet your expenses. Usually, when one speaks, it is often for a few churches too.

So, my question - why the high expense account for travelling overseas? It is fine with me if the money was used to build churches, to build orphanages, etc - but I was really surprised to see "travelling" as the large expense on the account.

f) Monies in CIM and CARED - I think that saying the money is an absolute gift and even vouching that it will be used for ministry is not good enough. Why? The money was given away in "secrecy" simply because of the failure of the BOD to check with the members if the members were ok with gift.

So, in principle - it is a tainted gift - faulty in the name of integrity. The monies should all be returned to the Church accounts. Then, the BOD can table this with the members - so that a consensus is reached and the gift is given openly. But this was not said nor did the BOD push for it at the EGM. To me, this matter has not been resolved.

There is a need for the BOD to regain their level of integrity with the members, like me and if I am not wrong - many similar ones. No one should call for your resignations - but seriously ask yourself, in all that you have done in respect of CIM, CARED and MISSIONS - have you done your duly best to protect the interests of the members who have put you there?

If you were an ordinary member, would you approve of what you have done? If you have doubts, then perhaps, you need to apologise and take that decision to vacate your seat, so that others who will do protect the interests of the members can occupy that seat.

Sr Ps too needs to regain his integrity and it starts with returning the money from CIM and CARED. For me, right now, my pastor has a "money" issue. I am really sorry but I can't help but see him as clinging on to a gift, one that are not supported by members. Even if there just be 800 or 2000 voices against this gift - is that not already the shrieking siren of bells for a servant of God that all is not right?

If Sr Ps believes that GOD will supply all his needs and walks the talk, then I hope that Sr Ps will let this money go. Hasn't Sis Petrina said many times at the altar? - Only when you let go of what you are holding, when you open your palms and look to God, can God fill your hands with more than you can hold!

That is my 2sens worth. Thank you and I apologise sincerely, if my words have been unduly harsh.

Dkay

September 16, 2008 3:03 AM

7 comments:

SPinocchio said...

Dear DKay
Wah!!! it looks like BCM did so much good.They really taught you right. We MUST follow the standard that is set by God and not men.
My question is.......
Did our pastors graduate from the same BCM?????
Ah Doi. I cannot comprehend.
Can someone out there help me?
cos my nose is loooooonger each day

True story said...

Both S.P. & S.A.P. (Senior Associate Pastor) graduated from BCM.
I think theirs is a case of "starting well but NOT finishing well," and/or "starting by walking in the Spirit but ending up walking in the flesh."

good,bad,ugly said...

Dear True Story
I heard SP graduated from BIM. not BCM.BCM only formed later
But SP got DD from USA.
But makes no difference loh
Is not what you have in hand, is our love and fear for the Lord

True Story said...

Ah..yes, you're right, Good, Bad & Ugly...
BIM in those long bygone days...

But I'm sure those Americam missonaries must have taught them to fear God as well... if our beloved Dr. Guynes ever find out the truth about his 'spiritual son,' Prince G, he would be sooooo disappointed!

Crossover said...

Similarity of the two:-

scene A:
When God confronted Adam for eating the forbidden fruit, Adam blamed his wife and God:"The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate" (Gen. 3:12)

scene B:
When TT members confronted SP for transfering funds into his personal A/C, SP blamed his deacons and TT members:"The deacons whom you voted to be with me, they gave me the money, and I took it"
**************
A good test of a person's character is his behavior when he is wrong.

Oh God, have mercy on us.

so sien of cliche terms said...

I'm a TT fan but not a TT member. so far in this blog, i have read many comments from 'anti-TT'people/Pro-SP supporters/Self-proclaimed neutrals who condemned the TT group and this blog for making 'malicious allegations' etc etc. But I have yet to hear a SINGLE answer on all the valid questions which have been raised during EGM and in this blog by different posters and commenters, ie. on CIM, travelling expenses, BOD keeping mum on the RM200k p.a. of funds being secretly transferred out of the church, SP preaching sermons to condemn people etc.
So, SP supporters, if you are reading this, can I suggest that instead of using those cliche terms like 'let God be God', 'Do not touch God's anointed' etc., that you first give us answers on many of this issues? I would really appreciate answers instead of the half truths by BOD which I am so tired of hearing.Pls? Answers??? If you don't hv answeers, then can I suggest you stop yr condemnations on what the TT group is doing?

joe said...

Check Berita Calvary blog for a very thought provoking article on "Do not touch the annointed."

God bless.

Post a Comment